Friday, June 22, 2007

Dear Cleo Phillips

of Rogers Middle School
Spencer, OK

I have to admit, I don't remember much from our textbook of your American Civics class. But I remember you and the life lessons you taught us.

1) Out of all you're getting, get an understanding.

2) If you don't like the way something is done in your community, change it.

3) If you don't vote, you have no right to complain about the way things turn out.

I am an adult now with a family and a mortgage and a community that I feel responsible for. It is you I credit for teaching me that my participation matters, that my opinion matters and that I am smart enough to make a difference.

I've tried to find you to thank you in person for what you did for me and my other classmates 23 years ago, but you've disappeared. It's a shame, because you deserve to be remembered. You should know that you made a wonderful difference in the life of that 12 year old girl.

Those were tough times at a tough school with no money. No doubt many teachers today face the same obstacles. But you are proof that the quality and character of teachers matter far more than what our education budgets show and that even unruly, ungrateful children can become productive, appreciative adults if they just have adults like you who believe in them and are willing to stand firm when others would walk away.

Wherever you are Mr. Phillips, THANK YOU. I hope you see this.

Dear Robot

Next month will be two years since I left you. Two years since that day I called you and told you that I would not be coming back home to ...